KQED Pledge-Free Stream
Sustaining Membership has its benefits — like the ability to enjoy KQED radio programming without pledge interruptions. Become a Sustainer and start taking advantage of these and other benefits today.
Once you've joined as a Sustainer, accessing Pledge-Free Stream is simple and easy to do. Just follow these three quick steps:
- Click on the "LOG IN TO PLEDGE-FREE STREAM" button.
- Enter your access code (Get access code help)
- Click on the 'SIGN ON' button to enjoy the Pledge-Free Stream
And you're set!
About Pledge-Free Stream
What is Pledge-Free Stream?
Pledge-Free Stream is a live stream of KQED Public Radio that runs at the same time as our regular on-air fundraising drives. It is only available online and through connected devices like tablets and smartphones. Pledge-Free Stream is hosted live by a second on-air announcer and carries all regular KQED radio programming, including live news reports. It omits all fundraising breaks.
Sustaining members always have active memberships and as an exclusive benefit Sustainers are given complimentary access to Pledge-Free Stream in appreciation for their ongoing monthly support. Not yet a Sustainer? Join today and your access to Pledge-Free Stream starts as soon as you receive your email confirmation. Your access is valid through an entire fundraising drive. Pledge-Free Stream is accessible on up to four compatible web browsers via your computer, tablet and/or smartphone.
What if I'm already a member, or just made a donation to KQED?
Existing KQED Sustainers receive complimentary access and should have received an email invitation with unique credentials. Your access will start immediately. To find out if you are currently eligible to receive access to KQED's Pledge-Free Stream, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (415) 553-2150.
How can I get Pledge-Free Stream?
If you are not already a KQED Sustainer, you can get access today with your contribution of a minimum of $5 per month ($60 per year) at KQED.org/donate. Once you submit your donation and become a Sustaining Member, you will immediately receive an email acknowledgement with unique credentials for Pledge-Free Stream. To open the stream, simply visit KQED.org/pfs and follow the 3 quick and easy steps.
If you do not wish to become a Sustaining Member, you may make a one time $60 per year donation at the Pledge-Free Stream One-Time Contribution donation site. This code is only valid for one Pledge drive. Once you submit your donation you will immediately receive an email acknowledgement with unique credentials for Pledge-Free Stream.
Can I make a one-time contribution and receive Pledge-Free Stream?
Pledge-Free Stream is a complimentary benefit for KQED members who support the programming by making on-going monthly contributions. If you would rather not join as a Sustaining Member, then it is also available with your donation of $60 or more. Please use the following link to make your one-time contribution for Pledge-Free Stream access.
What do I do if I did not receive my confirmation email with my Personalized Access Code?
When you submitted your donation to KQED or became eligible for access to Pledge-Free Stream, an email confirmation would have been sent to the address you gave us. Emails are usually sent immediately, but can take up to 10 mins to reach your inbox. If you are a KQED Sustaining Member, then you are automatically eligible for Pledge-Free Stream, and should have already received an email from KQED containing the subject line 'Your Pledge-Free Stream Access.' This email contains your personalized Pledge-Free Stream access code. If you can't find the confirmation email, please check your 'promotions,' 'spam' or 'junk email' folder as it may have been misdirected there. If you still can't find the email, please call our Member Services Department at (415) 553-2150 or email us at email@example.com. A member services representative will verify your eligibility for Pledge-Free Stream and give you an access code. Please note that you will need a new code for each drive in which you participate.
PLEASE NOTE: To ensure you receive emails from us with your code for future drives, please take a minute to make sure you have firstname.lastname@example.org whitelisted. Here are whitelisting instructions.
FOR GMAIL USERS: If you don't see the confirmation email with your access code in your Primary Gmail in-box, please check under the 'Promotions' tab if you have that set up. Some KQED access code emails seem to end up there. If you do find the email there, drag it to the Primary tab so future emails will hopefully end up there instead of under Promotions. Instructions on all tabs.
What if I forgot my login and/or Personalized Access Code?
To log into Pledge-Free Stream, you'll need two things:
- The email address you shared with KQED when you completed the online donation form.
- The personalized access code we sent to you by confirmation email. If you can't find that email, please call our Member Services Department at (415) 553-2150 or email us at email@example.com. A member services representative will verify your eligibility for Pledge-Free Stream and give you an access code.
If you have a Pledge-Free Stream access code from a previous Pledge-Free Stream campaign, you will not be able to log in to the current Pledge-Free Stream. Access codes are active for only one fundraising drive.
Why does the site keep asking me to sign in?
You should only have to sign in once per browser. The first time you sign in successfully, the KQED website sets a browser cookie that retains your sign-in information.
If your browser keeps asking you to sign in, try checking your browser's preferences to make sure it is accepting cookies. If it is, then send us an email and we'll try to help troubleshoot the issues you are facing.
What technology is required to use the KQED Live Radio stream and Pledge-Free Stream?
You can listen to the Pledge-Free Stream via most web browsers. If you're able to play the normal KQED Listen Live stream in your browser, then you should be able to listen to the Pledge-Free Stream as well.
The KQED Live Stream player, including Pledge-Free Stream, utilizes the HTML Audio tag. This HTML tag has been tested for compatibility with a range of web browsers. If your browser doesn't seem to be compatible, you can try upgrading your current browser or changing to a different one.
I'm still hearing pledge breaks. Why is this?
KQED's Pledge-Free Stream requires cookies for authentication. If you are logging in to Pledge-Free Stream but still hearing pledge breaks, check to make sure you do not have 'Private Browsing' turned on in your browser preferences. If Private Browsing is set to 'on', cookies will be disabled. Also, you should make sure any other privacy preferences are set to allow cookies.
I can't hear anything or the stream is buffering — what should I do?
If you experience problems please try the following:
- Reload the browser page and try again. If you're listening via a computer, try a different browser. If you do have a recommended browser and you still can't hear anything after clicking on the live stream link, make sure that your speakers are on and the volume is turned up.
- If you're listening on a phone via cellular data connection, try using wi-fi from your phone instead.
- If using an iPhone, please make sure that private browsing is off and cookies are not being blocked.
- Check to make sure there isn't something else running on your connection that's using excessive bandwidth, such as streaming video or a software update.
If you still can't hear anything or the stream is buffering repeatedly, contact us via the KQED Live Stream Problem Report form.
How do I access Pledge-Free Stream over my mobile device or smartphone?
KQED's Mobile-Friendly Web Site:
If you've already received your access information for Pledge-Free Stream, browse to kqed.org/pfs and use the log-in credentials you received in your confirmation email (the email address you used when donating and the unique access code provided) to log in. Once you've logged in, you'll be taken directly to Pledge-Free Stream where you just click on the 'play' button and start listening pledge-free!
If you haven't donated for Pledge-Free Stream yet, just point your mobile browser to KQED.org/donate and become a Sustaining member at any level, or make an all-at-once contribution of $60. After you submit your contribution you will immediately receive credentials that grant you immediate access to Pledge-Free Stream. .
After you have signed in to Pledge-Free Stream, visit our Listen Live page, select 'Listen via an audio player of your choosing,' and paste the custom URL provided into your listening app of choice (eg, TuneIn, Sonos, etc.). Unfortunately, Pledge-Free Stream is not yet available in the KQED mobile app.
Special information for iPhone/iPad Users:
Navigate to kqed.org/pfs and log in using your Pledge-Free Stream credentials. Once you have signed in, your mobile web browser will retain your credentials.
If you are using an iPhone and you have logged in to Pledge-Free Stream but are still hearing pledge breaks:
- Make sure you don't have 'private browsing' turned on. If you're using iOS 6 or earlier, check that 'private browsing' in the Safari Settings is set to OFF.
- Make sure Safari is set to accept cookies. If you're using iOS 7, check that the 'Block Cookies' setting is not set to 'Always.' If you're using iOS 6 or earlier, check that the 'Accept Cookies' setting is not set to 'Never.'
How do I access Pledge-Free Stream over iTunes, my Internet radio, Amazon Echo/Alexa, Sonos or other desktop player?
If your device or app can accept M3U files or stream URLs (ex: iTunes, Sonos, TuneIn), you may be able to use it to listen to Pledge-Free Stream:
- Confirm you are logged in at https://www.kqed.org/radio/listen/ (you will see blue Pledge-Free Stream text on the 'Listen Live' page).
- Click on 'GET STREAM URL' to use the custom Stream URL provided if your app or device allows you to manually add a station. (Note: This URL contains your email address and PIN.)
- For Sonos, add this custom URL to your Music Source list by going to the Manage menu > Add a Radio Station. It will then appear in all Sonos controllers under Radio > My Radio Stations. (Delete your previous version if you have added a PFS station to your Sonos system in the past.)
- For Grace Radio, Go to myradio.gracedigital.com >Create an account > Once logged in go to Radios >Register >Go on the Radio itself > settings > Get Registration Key >Once you get that key go back to the website, where you left off (Register) >Enter that Registration key there >Hit Submit >Go to mystuff > mystreams
- Alexa/Amazon Echo products: A seamless KQED listening experience across all devices is always our goal. Unfortunately, the sign-in process required for KQED's Pledge-Free Stream is not possible on Amazon Echo products at this time.
Can I listen to Pledge-Free Stream on my radio?
No, it is not possible to access the KQED's Pledge-Free Stream with a conventional radio. Right now, Pledge-Free Stream is only available though a web browser on a computer, smartphone, tablet or other connected device. Several car makers have announced that they're offering Internet radio with their upcoming models. In the meantime, you can use your smartphone to stream while you're in your car!
Can I donate for Pledge-Free Stream by calling KQED?
Making your donation online would be the quickest way to access Pledge-Free Stream. If you would rather become a Sustaining Member and contribute to KQED over the phone then please call member services (415) 553-2150, Mon - Fri, 9am - 4:45pm and we'd be happy to help you. Your Pledge-Free Stream access will start as soon as you receive your confirmation email.
Will my donation for Pledge-Free Stream make me a KQED member?
Donating for Pledge-Free Stream entitles you to all the benefits of KQED membership for one year.
Will I be able to listen pledge-free for other pledge drives too?
No. Pledge-Free Stream is only available for the current pledge drive, and only for KQED Public Radio.
What if I want to give more than the current offer amount or would like other thank-you gifts as well?
That's great! Pledge-free access is automatic for all Sustainers and is available to other members each drive with your contribution of $60 or more. If you would like a thank-you gift for your contribution to KQED, simply select your desired item during your donation process before your click on submit.
If I donate from the web browser on my home computer, can I also access Pledge-Free Stream from my work computer?
Yes! We realize that lots of our members listen to us at work, at home, and on the go. So we've made it possible for you to enable Pledge-Free Stream on up to four browsers. Just use the personalized access code we sent you in your donation confirmation email and enjoy uninterrupted KQED programming!
What is the 'fair market value' of Pledge-Free Stream?
Pledge-Free Stream has no 'fair market value' because it is considered a service as opposed to a tangible gift item or product.
Question still not answered? Fill out a streaming problem report.